12 oz. spinach leaves or (2 ) 6 oz. bags
1 medium red onion, minced
2 medium russet or red potatoes, cooked tender and sliced
1 large container of fresh green beans, cooked tender
1 pound top sirloin, grilled and sliced thin
12 nicoise or kalamata olives, quartered
Marinade for the Top Sirloin
2 tablespoons of Bragg Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
1/8 teaspoon chinese 5 spice
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Mix ingredients and marinate at room temperature for 90 minutes, flipping several times. (My sirloin was partially frozen so I felt comfortable marinating at room temperature. However, if your sirloin is completely is thawed -- you might want to marinate for a longer period of time in the fridge)
To prepare the potatoes
1) Prepare other salad components while sirloin
2) Wash and place potatoes in a small pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer at a low boil until potatoes are tender 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and set aside
3) Just before salad assembly begins lightly coat potato with peanut oil and slice in 1/4 inch slices.
Farm-Fresh Green Beans - from Ratio by Michael Ruhlman
1 pound of farm fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
2o cups of water
1 cup salt
1) Bring the water and salt mixture to a boil
2) Cook green beans 4-5 minutes until tender not crunchy. At this point the beans can be served immediately with butter and lemon. Or, drain and submerge beans in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. (At this point the beans can be kept in the fridge until ready to use and sauteed for two minutes with your favorite spices). In my case, I set aside since I w
as going to use in this salad.
Lime-Peanut Vinaigrette - from Ratio by Michael Ruhlman
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced shallot (I substituted with red onion)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup peanut oil
1) Combine the lime juice, salt, and shallot in a blender. (I used my immersion blender). Blend for a few seconds to dissolve the salt and shallot/onion.
2) Add the remaining ingredients and blend until they are combined. Set aside.
To make to top sirloin
1) Heat 2 - 3 tablespoons of peanut oil over medium-high heat in your favorite grill pan. (I used a cast iron pan with grill marks). Place top sirloin in the pan and cook on one side 4 minutes with the cast iron grill weight on top of the steak. Flip and cook on the second side for 4 more minutes with the cast iron grill weight on
top again, (or until your preferred doneness). This steak came out a perfect medium rare.
2) Remove from heat and tent with aluminum foil for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
3) When ready to slice, use a sharp knife and slice 1/4" slices
Assemble the salad
1) Place spinach in one large bowl and use just enough lime-peanut dressing to coat all of the leaves evenly. Divide spinach between 4 plates.
2) Arrange sliced sirloin, green beans, potatoes, red onions and olives over the greens.
3) Drizzle with more vinaigrette.