Homemade Vegetable Stock in a Crock Pot
1 10 oz bag of frozen mushrooms (I used Woodstock shiitake)
1 bay leaf
6 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 cloves of garlic
1 small handful of peppercorns (about 15)
2 onions, quartered
4 carrots, roughly chopped
1 leek cut in half
4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 parsnip, roughly chopped
2 large swiss chard leaves
1 small handful of fresh parsley sprigs
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 quarts of water (I have a 5 quart crock pot)
1. Place the frozen mushrooms, bay leaf, thyme, garlic and peppercorns in the bottom of a crock pot.
2. Add the chopped vegetables to the mix.
3. Top with the swiss chard leaves, parsley sprigs, tomato paste, and water. Seal in the goodness and set to low for 8 hours.
4. After the vegetables simmer for 8 hours cool the stock completely. Scoop out the vegetable scraps with tongs, pour the stock through cheese cloth and store jars. I freeze these jars until I need the stock.
5. Note: I have wasted several jars of tomato paste by not using them fast enough. Now I place 1 tablespoon dollops on a cookie sheet, place the cookie sheet in the freezer, then put the frozen tomato paste dollops in a container ready for my next use.