To Die For Pot Roast?

First, you should know that I didn't invent this recipe or the title.  I think this might only be the second time I've made pot roast in my life.  Lately, I have had my usual mid-west winter cravings despite my living in southern California.  The first time I made pot roast on my own I probably used my mom's method.  My mom sprinkled her roast with salt and pepper seared both sides in hot oil put it in a roaster with onions potatoes and carrots at 350 for....well I don't know how long.  My situation: 1) every time I leave my oven on for a long period of time my smoke detectors go off.  (I probably do need to clean my oven but either way my smoke detectors are super sensitive and it drives me nuts) 2) We were to have a guest over to our place immediately after church.  So, given those perimeters I decided to go with a crock pot meal.  That decided, the next dilemma was what to cook.  After flipping through a couple of cookbooks I decided to have a look on Recipezaar, and ran across a recipe called To Die For Pot Roast.  Well, 960 reviews and a name like that who could resist?


Print Friendly and PDF

To Die For Pot Roast (as listed exactly on the Recipeezaar site)
1 Beef Roast, any kind
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix, dry
1 ( 1 1/4 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing seasoning mix
1 ( 1 1/4 ounce) package ranch dressing mix, dry
1/2 cup water

1) Place beef roast in crock pot.
2) Mix the dried mixes together in a bowl and sprinkle over the roast.
3) Pour the water around the roast.
4) Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

What I did:  After reading through several comments, here is what I did.  At 5:00 a.m. I placed a 3 pound roast in an oval crock pot with 1 cup of water 1 pkg. of the gravy mix, 1/2 of the Italian seasoning, and 1/2 of the ranch dressing pkg. and set the crock pot to low.  3 1/2 hours later I placed 1 bag of baby carrots, 2 turnips cut in sticks, 2 large onions quartered and 3 large potatoes cut in thirds over the meat and sprinkled the vegetables with the rest of the seasoning...and left for church.  After reading so many reviews about the saltiness, I decided the best thing to do was cut it down with veggies.  At 1:00 p.m. we got home and ate right away.

Result:  It was good, but I wouldn't die for it;-)  There are things I would die for but this pot roast is not one of them.  Maybe I'm just not a fan of pot roast...I don't know (after all I have only made it twice).  Maybe it would have been to die for if I didn't add all the veggies...again not sure.  Whenever I do get the craving again for pot roast (perhaps in a year or two from now), I am going to work on my own spice blend due to the sodium level and the fact that one of those packages contained MSG.  Furthermore, our guest was not able to come over that day so I have a lot of leftovers now stored in the freezer.  I am looking forward to the challenge of reinventing a use for those leftovers.

Comments

Popular Posts