2017 Foodie Year in Pictures

As this year comes to an end, I’m reflecting on all the wonderful tasty treats I was privileged to enjoy.

1. I took a trip to Austin, TX for work and I was able to have my absolute favorite fajitas on the planet from Pappasitos. These fajitas are served medium rare (if you like them that way and I do) and are flame broiled. They make their own tortillas. They make guacamole table side. They serve delicious margaritas. Last but not least they have thin crisp chips and a light consistancy salsa. I love it all.




I don’t want to forget the chips!




2. I was able to cross off a foodie bucket list item (several times over) - “Have dinner with my husband in Italy.” First up, spaghetti alle vongole in Rome!




Then for the main course a white fish in butter sauce that was so divine I forgot to take a picture until I was half way done eating it.




The next day I had the best Margarita pizza in my life. The tomato sauce was so fresh. I don’t think there was anything in the sauce except the tomato.




After Rome we were back in Milan where we went to our first “Potluck” in Italy. Everything was so good.




Our host family treated us to many great meals. I didn’t take many pictures of my plate at their table. Probably because my phone wasn’t on me and I was too excited to eat. There was one exception - Pasta ai Quattro Fromaggi - I wanted to remember this one! The four cheeses I was told to use are Robiola or Stracchino (8 oz), Tellegio (8 oz), Parmigiana reggiano, Gorgonzola 4 oz. Luckily I have a specialty cheese shop 30 minutes from me and they sell Robiola and Tellegio.




Another local family invited us to dinner along with our host family. She made us her family recipe for Arancini. They also treated us to homemade limonchello.




Our Italy adventure continued in Florence. I’ve never seen so many quaint cafes and trattorias in such close proximity.




Would you look at these flowers? I hope I can recreate something similar on my front porch or in my backyard.



I just loved the decor of this place. I loved the pillows on the benches so much that I am quite determined to mimick something similar in my home.




We couldn’t leave Florence without having a traditional steak Florentine!




We ordered the traditional sides to go with the steak. Note the fried squash blossoms at the top of my plate. I’ve always wanted to try those!




There is an amazing food market in Florence. The main level has vendors that sell fresh fish, meat, pasta, bread, and more. Upstairs there are vendors that sell everything imaginable for breakfast and lunch. 




My breakfast at the market was a cream filled croissant and a latte.




I couldn’t leave the market without taking a fresh cannoli to go! The vendor made it right infront of my eyes.




We ate one final pizza before leaving Italy. This is how it was served in Milan. It was delicious, but given a choice to have one of them again, I’d pick the one from Rome.




3. Somewhat food related I had a bookshelf/hutch custom made for our kitchen area. My husband has lots of books but this one is all mine, mine, mine, loaded with cookbooks and china. I ordered this from Painted Cottage in New Jersey, and they custom made it to my requested measurements.



4. I discovered a new Middle Eastern restaurant in the San Diego area, Calibanzo Hummus & Grill. It was fabulous. My friend and I ordered the fried cauliflower, falafel, and a kebab to split.








5. I finally grew a successful garden in pots!




I grew round zucchini so that I could replicate a meal that I had in Italy. It is a round zucchini stuffed with ground beef, onion, a pinch of nutmeg and cheese.



6. I learned about a sweet home-decor store in Layfeyette, CO called Due South. I found this cute milk jug and sign which works perfect over my stove.



7. I attended a “Theology and Beer” event in downtown San Francisco in honor of the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. The organizers paired adult beverages with their favorite Reformers. I tasted the most amazing cider ever. I’m hoping that I can get some shipped to me in Colorado. It would be worth it.



8.  The Ajax sandwich, chargrilled chicken breast with provolone, applewood bacon, and pesto mayo served with a combo of onion rings and fries, from the Black Diamond Restaurant in Layfeyette, CO. Enough said.



9. I helped cook Christmas dinner for 65 people at our church. The menu was pork loin roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, salad, and rolls. Everyone brought a dessert to share. I didn’t hear any complaints!



10.  I helped the Girl’s Club at our church create some “Gifts in a Jar” that we made available for a donation. The money we brought in we used to buy gifts for Angel Tree - an organization that helps get Christmas gifts to children who have a parent that is incarcerated.




What a blessed year! I wonder what 2018 will bring. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. WOW what a amazing post it. really it is awesome cake recipe, It's looking so much gorgeous and delicious.thank you very much. Drivill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. This great food journey, these food looking very awesome and yummy. I am food lover also like you. loved to reading this post. thank you so much for sharing with us. we giving the best Ride Sharing App in Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts