Glühwein (a.k.a. Gluhwein, Gluvine or Hot Mulled Spiced Wine)

Update 9/9/2019: I started this blog in 2009 as an online journal to chronicle my journey and record my favorite recipes. Ten years later I can look back and see how much I’ve learned. As I reduced the amount of processed food in my pantry and freezer, I began preparing more and more meals from scratch. This resulted in a change in tastes, likes, and desires. So much, in fact, that I feel it’s time to launch and entirely new blog! I'm going to keep this blog up and running just in case people have linked or pinned the recipes. Here's a link to this recipe on the new site.

Here is one way to take away some of the winter chill. Make some Glühwein (a.k.a. Gluhwein, Gluvine or Hot Mulled Spiced Wine). The first time I tasted Glühwein was at a German Christmas market in Esslingen, Germany. Yep, I had the real deal, and wow, was it good. The Heavens opened up; I heard trumpets sounding - just kidding. But seriously, I don't understand why this is not more popular in the United States. So many people enjoy a nice cool glass of Sangria on a hot summer night, so why don't we like a nice warm mug of Hot Mulled Spiced Wine on a cold winter night? Is it possible that people just don't know about this tasty treat? Maybe, if more restaurants offered it on their menus, more people would know about it. Well, I will do my part to help "get the word out" regarding this tasty beverage with this blog post. Impressive, huh?



Print Friendly and PDF



Glühwein
2 Tablespoons of mulling spice (example MySpiceSage)
4 Cups of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Burgundy)
1/3 - 1/2 Cups of sugar - to taste

1) Place the mulling spice in a tea infuser or cheesecloth.




2) Pour wine in a pot (or crockpot) and add sugar





3) Bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.





4) Remove spices and serve in mugs. Goes well with Potato Pancakes (also served at the German Christmas market)



So, what does a German Christmas market look like?
Here is a view from the top of the steps looking down into a sea of people and booths/stalls.




Check out the displays of chocolate and candy as I have never seen before.



Foodie friends look closely at the halved pears dipped in chocolate and decorated - too cute!




And, what German Christmas market would be complete without ginger bread?


Comments

  1. I had never had this drink before but sounds great. I. have German heritage mixed with the Irish. I'm thinking of using the optional Rum or Spice Brandy too the mixture to give it the proper Irish Kick. I have the spices already. What I was curious about is the wines recommended. Which one Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon?
    I love both wines meself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irish,

    I love your idea to kick it up a notch "Irish Style." I'll have to try that sometime. I add brandy to sangria so why not? When it comes to a type of wine, honestly, I mostly use "cheap" wine. I've used everything from Two Buck Chuck to anything that costs less than $7.00. More often than not, it is usually Merlot. Because of everything added - spices, sugar, etc. no matter what you buy - it will be good! In my opinion, we should save the more expensive wine to drink and enjoy as is, out of the bottle! Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Foodie:
    I did answer you and thank you. I guess my browser was acting up again. So Again I thank you for your advice on the Gluhwein. I heard about it and went and researched how it was made, but couldn't find whether or not to use Cabernet or Merlot. You answered this. I also in addition to adding Brandy or Spiced rum found you garnish the Gluhwein with mint leaves.
    All the best,
    Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just back from the Christmas festivals (Christkinderfestival) in Munich and Salzburg. If someone is looking for a winter vacation, this is a must do! They're still serving the mulled wine at the festivals, and we're now going to make it for our guests in the cold Idaho mountains. Thanks for the postings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard of this drink before. Thanks for introducing it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just returned from a trip to Germany, Austria and Prague, Czech Republic and had this drink at all the Christmas Markets from Vienna to Prague. Did the river boat from Vienna to Wurzburg and then a side trip to Prague. OMG!!! What a wonderful trip. Christmas Markets in every town. This drink is available in all the markets as well as in most restaurants. Wonderful. I brought home several bottles and will be sharing it tomorrow night at a Christmas party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Austrian friend recently made something very similar, it was delicious. She has a sugar cone that she soaked in 80% rum and put it on a metal rack over the mulled wine. She then lit it on fire and the sugar caramelised and melted into the wine. I was afraid my eyebrows were going to burn off the whole time! But it was so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sold and served in many UK pubs (more widely known here as mulled wine but tastes the same!) along with mince pies... It is a must drink to accompany gift wrapping or tree decorating! I'm not sure if you drink it in the states but a typical English summer drink is Pimms (similar to sangria in that you add mint, sliced apple, oranges and strawberries) but there's also a winter version served warm with cinnamon sticks and dried apple slices... http://www.anyoneforpimms.com/
    Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try it with honey instead of sugar. The conversion is about half the amount of honey than sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive Post. It provide such a nice detail about Pizza service, you can visit my blog Restaurant In Sydney and can get more detail about food service.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts