Spinach, Tomato, and Feta Frittata

I have been on a major frittata kick lately. It seems that between leftovers and the staples I have in my my refrigerator I can make a frittata out of just about anything. The flavor combination of spinach, tomato, and feta makes for an especially delicious frittata. Therefore, it must be recorded on the blog for posterity! Why a frittata kick? My husband and I have been losing weight using the methodology of The New Atkins diet rather than The South Beach Diet that we typically follow when we want to lose weight. We lost all the weight we gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2 weeks, and now we are working on losing weight that we've gained over the last several years. Recently, I asked my husband how he liked The New Atkins diet compared to The South Beach Diet. He said, "any diet where I can have eggs, cheese, sausage and hot wings - I'm in." I can't wait until he finds out there is an ice cream recipe that I can make while still sticking to this new way of eating. The New Atkins Diet has been a bit easier for us to follow than The South Beach Diet because it's not as concerned with low fat dairy and low fat cuts of meat. I recently took a 3 day business trip and had no problem keeping to the diet. I have hope again that slowly but surely I'll be able to wear clothes that I used to wear years ago. Recipes like this will help! This recipe can be easily adapted to phase 1 of The South Beach Diet by using low fat cheeses, or as is for phase 1 of The New Atkins.




Spinach, Tomato, and Feta Frittata
10 oz package of frozen cut leaf spinach (or chop equivilqant fresh spinach)
2 - 3 fresh Roma tomatoes, diced, or 1 (14.5) oz can of dices tomatoes, drained
1 small to medium onion, small dice
4 - 5 large eggs
4 oz feta (use low fat for The South Beach and regular for The New Atkins)
4 oz shredded Mozzarella (use low fat for South Beach and regular for The New Atkins)
olive oil
salt
pepper
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 pinch of thyme


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Gather and prep the ingredients. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 10-inch non-stick oven-proof frying pan until it shimmers, and add the diced onion. Cook the onion on medium heat until it is translucent about 5 minutes.




2. Slice the tomato from stem to root in three even slices, remove the core, and then cut the slices to create the dices.





3. Add the diced tomatoes to the onions, add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for another minute or two or until the tomatoes have melted into the onions.




4. Incorporate the drained spinach with the tomato mixture and sauté for another minute. Shut off the heat to the pan.




5. Crack and beat the eggs in a small bowl. Pour the eggs evenly over the spinach and tomato mixture. Using a fork or spatula gently work the eggs evenly into the vegetables.




6. Sprinkle the frittata with 4 oz of feta cheese.



7. Add another 4oz of shredded mozzarella cheese.



8. Bake the frittata in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is lightly brown and bubbly. Slice to create 6 pieces or in quarters for a generous portion.







Comments

  1. Hi, do you have any idea of the carb count on this? I just started the Atkins, and I am logging the carbs until I get used to it. By the way, I made it, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really informative and helpful. I love grilling but hardly ever do it because getting the meat as tender as I like it takes sooo long! So most of the time, I don’t even bother and end up making something else. I’ll definitely be trying that rub too, it sounds absolutely delicious. I think it’ll be a hit in this house, especially since we hardly ever enjoy grilled meat. It’ll be a wonderful treat. Thank you for sharing! Gas Grills

    Grills

    Grills

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts