2 lbs eggplant, diced (about 3 medium)
2 lbs zucchini, diced (about 6 medium)
2 (1 lb) cans diced tomatoes
1 bulb of garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
freshly chopped parsley or basil, for garnish
1) Dice the eggplant in 1 inch pieces, sprinkle with salt and set aside in a colander lined with paper towel to let the eggplant sweat out its bitterness.
2) Dice zucchini in 1 inch pieces.
3) Using a garlic press, squeeze the cloves of an entire bulb of garlic into a small bowl.
4) Using fresh paper towel blot the eggplant dry.
5) Add two tablespoons of oil to a large stock pot.
6) Add half of the eggplant to the stock pot.
7) Add half of the zucchini to the stock pot.
8) Add one can of tomatoes to the stock pot.
9) Sprinkle half of the garlic over the tomatoes.
10) Sprinkle this layer with a large pinch of salt and pepper.
11) Layer the other half of the ingredients in the same order topping the tomatoes with another large pinch of salt and pepper.
12) Simmer on low heat for two hours giving the stew a good stir after the first hour.