Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches

I made French Dip Sandwiches last weekend and they were fantastic! This is now one of my top ten recipes (not sure what was bumped off because I actually haven't written out this list yet). I feel like I find buried treasure when I stumble upon a recipe that is so simple and delicious.

Here is the run down. I needed to be able to feed six people shortly after walking in the door with them. So I knew it would involve my slow cooker. Also, dinner was going to be later than usual (well maybe not for a European) so I didn't want to have a heavy roast or chicken. After looking on Recipezaar (at this recipe and this one) and doing some other google searches I settled on french dip sandwiches. The idea seemed special (out of the ordinary) but not complicated. Perfect! I do get nervous trying a new recipe out on guests. I really don't like to do that because it adds a layer of stress when your trying to be a good hostess. On that account, I shied away from all of the different recommendations for spice blends and went with my favorite standby that has NEVER let me down -- Trade East Canadian Steak Seasoning. Sorry to all the people on the west coast who can't find this readily. I will have to try to find a good substitute or try to figure out how to make my own version. Everyone raved about the sandwiches! The meat was so tender and flavorful. The caramelized onions and cheese are complimentary flavors with the crusty bread dipped in the savory broth --yum! By the way, four days later I made this again for my husband and I because we just didn't have enough the first time around.



Print Friendly and PDF


Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches

1 (2 1/2 - 3 lb) Tri Tip Roast
2 tsp. Trade East Canadian Steak Seasoning
2 1/2 cups of beef broth (I used Pacific Natural Foods)
3 medium sweet onions, sliced in half and in half again to make 1/4 inch strips.
1 Tablespoon of butter
1 pinch of coarse salt

1) Place the roast in the slow cooker, sprinkle seasoning over top of roast, and add the broth without disturbing the spice on the top of the roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.



2) Carefully remove roast from the juices, place on a cutting board and tent with foil for 10 minutes. Pour the juice from the crock pot into a fat separating craft and let the fat rise to the top. While the roast and juice are resting add 1 tablespoon of butter to a frying pan. Add onions, sprinkle with salt, and cook on medium low heat to caramelize slowly and evenly, stirring often.

3) Cut roast into chunky slices and place on platter or return to crock pot on a warm setting.
Carefully (without disturbing the fat that has risen to the top) pour a few tablespoons of broth over the sliced meat.



4) Pour remaining broth through a cheese cloth for a clear dipping broth leaving the fat in the separator. Serve on french rolls with onions and and cheese along with kettle chips and caesar salad. Serves 6-8

Comments

  1. Looks great, I missed the type of cheese you used?
    I have made a version of this but then popped them under the broiler to melt the cheese.
    Por el amor de los alimentos !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, good question. I think I used Havarti. What did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts