Homemade Chicken Stock in a Crock Pot

Recently I have been experimenting with whole chicken recipes with some successes and some failures.  More on those soon.  However, this has left me with more leftover chicken bones than usual.  I have made chicken stock before in a big pot over the stove with wings, backs, etc.  But could I put everything in a crockpot before work, and come home to a delicious homemade stock?  Answer:  yes!


I recently read about the difference between stock and broth on another food blog -- The Perfect Pantry.  I had always wondered about the difference between the two.  Food Network also states that stock is created by simmering bones in water, and broth is made from simmering meat.  Well, I think that is a pretty good way to look at since stock is so much richer/thicker due its gelatinous nature.  (You'll see when it is completely cool -- for new cooks don't worry, when it is heated it melts into a beautiful soup base again.)

I keep a gallon size zip lock freezer bag in the freezer for chicken scraps until I have enough to make a batch of chicken stock.  If you have ever bought a rotisserie chicken from the store, after deboning the chicken, put all the scraps in a freezer bag and you almost have enough for stock right there.  (This was a huge discovery for me -- I always thought that the chicken scraps needed to be uncooked). Sometimes I can find a package of chicken backs for just a few dollars or I will purposely buy chicken breast on the bone and debone it for the breast fillet that I need (see video here), saving the bones in my freezer bag for stock.  When you accumulate the bones of one whole chicken and a couple of backs or bones from a couple of chicken breasts you have enough for stock.   I love the fact that there is  a use for leftover roasted chicken bones, especially when every shopping dollar counts, and the result is a fantastic rich tasting stock.


Print Friendly and PDF


Homemade Chicken Stock in a Crock Pot

Bones from a whole roasted chicken plus parts (4 wings, 2 backs, or 2 breast bones with skin)
1 onion quartered with onion skin
1 carrot or a few baby carrots
3 celery stalks with leaves (the center most part of a bunch of celery is perfect)
6 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
8 to 9 cups of water (or as much water as the crock pot will hold)

1) Place all of the ingredients in a crock pot and set on low for 6-8 hours
2) Drain liquid into a large container using a colander and throw away all bones, scraps and vegetables
3) Strain the liquid again through a couple of layers of cheese cloth and place the strained liquid in a covered container overnight in the refrigerator
4) The next day, after skimming the top layer of fat off, the stock is ready to be used, for a batch of soup, frozen in a large container, or frozen in 1/2 cup or 1 cup containers for future use in rice, risotto or pretty much any recipe that calls for broth

More resources for homemade stock:
Simply recipes on homemade chicken stock
Bon Appetit on homemade chicken stock
Kalyn's Kitchen on homemade chicken stock (a girl after my own heart when it comes to stock)

Comments

Popular Posts