Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus

This recipe has made its way to an Easter tradition in our home, and has been served as a brunch item on occasion. If there are any left over, and that is a big IF (this last time there was not...so sad), I love to chop them up and put them in an omelet.  The first time I tasted these I was at a friend's baby shower.  I loved them so much I asked for the recipe immediately.  Happily the mother-to-be shared it and told me that she found it in Bon Appetite - The Christmas Season, 2000.  Now I went searching for the recipe online so I could link to it here, but I don't see anything like the original as it was given to me.  Since I have made this recipe a few times I have now experimented with the recipe.  In the past, I have followed the recipe exactly as it was given to me (with the exception of the amount of goat cheese -- I just use the whole 5.5 oz package) BUT, this last time I did a couple of things different.  Every time I make them they are turn out great.  I like the method that I used last time because it removes the blanching step.  I am going to post both versions here as well as links to similar variations I found as I was looking for the original.  Bon Appetite!




Print Friendly and PDF

Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus (The original as given to me)
2 1/2 ounces soft goat cheese
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
32 asparagus spears -- trimmed
16 paper thin prosciutto slices

1) Mix goat cheese, garlic and pepper in small bowl to blend. Set aside.

2) Cook asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to bowl of ice water and cool.  Drain and pat dry.  Arrange prosciutto slices on work surface.  Cut each in half crosswise.  Spread 1 side of prosciutto slice with cheese mixture.  Place 1 asparagus spear on 1 short end of each slice.  Roll up tightly.  Transfer to baking sheet. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

3) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake asparagus until heated through, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to platter and serve.


Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus (My latest version)
5 1/2 ounces goat cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
24 asparagus spears -- trimmed
6 paper thin prosciutto slices

1) Mix goat cheese, thyme and pepper in a small bowl to blend.  Set aside.

2) After cutting off the bottom inch or two of tough stalk, use a potato peeler and lightly peel the outer "skin" of the bottom two inches of spear. 

3) Spread a thin layer of the goat cheese mixture on a prosciutto slice.  With a very sharp knife slice the cheese covered prosciutto slice into thirds lengthwise.  Wind the cheese covered prosciutto slice up the stalk, pressing the cheese into the stalk, and place on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray.

4) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and roast for 10 minutes or until prosciutto is lightly browned and the asparagus is crisp tender.

Other similar recipes that I'll be checking out in the future are posted here for your convenience (all from Epicurious):



Comments

  1. Asparagus, Goat cheese, Prosciutto! 3 of my favorite things!!! This sounds like a must try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts