Zucchini Frittata

Update 9/9/2019: I started this blog in 2009 as an online journal to chronicle my journey and record my favorite recipes. Ten years later I can look back and see how much I’ve learned. As I reduced the amount of processed food in my pantry and freezer, I began preparing more and more meals from scratch. This resulted in a change in tastes, likes, and desires. So much, in fact, that I feel it’s time to launch and entirely new blog! I'm going to keep this blog up and running just in case people have linked or pinned the recipes. Here's a link to this recipe on the new site.


This is one of my all time favorite  frittata recipes.  I have made this dozens of times and it always tastes great.  This recipe comes from an older cookbook, back when low-fat cooking was all the rage.  Given the new information that eggs don't actually raise your cholesterol (South Beach Diet), I now use the entire egg.





Print Friendly and PDF


Zucchini Frittata (adapted from Reader's Digest Great Recipes for Good Health)

1 Tablespoon olive oil
6 green onions, including tops, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized zucchini or 2 small (about 1/2 pound), halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 can (1 pound) low-sodium tomatoes, drained and chopped (I use a 14.5 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes, drained)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 - 5 large eggs (original recipe called for 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
Parsley for garnish

1) Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a nonstick 10 inch skillet with an ovenproof handle, heat the olive oil over moderate heat for 1 minute.  Add the green onions and cook, uncovered, until soft -- about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, thyme, and pepper and  cook, covered, until the zucchini is just tender -- about 3 minutes.



2) In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and egg whites; blend into the vegetable mixture in the skillet and sprinkle with the cheese.

3) Place the skillet in the oven and bake the frittata, uncovered, until just set-- about 5 minutes.  Raise the oven temperature to broil and place the skillet in the broiler 5 to 6 inches from the heat; broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until the frittata is golden.  (I usually just leave the pan in the oven at 350 until the frittata is brown and bubbly -- about 45 to 50 minutes.  When going with this method do not cover and cook the zucchini for 3 minutes as stated in step one.  Instead saute the mixture uncovered for one minute and remove from heat.  Otherwise, the zucchini will get overcooked while baking)




4) Serve with a tossed green salad, carrots, or fresh strawberries.  Serves 4






Comments

  1. After eating meat all week with all my company, I was looking for something lighter and thought I would try this. I had most of the ingredients so this was a cheap meal for us. Really good altho I added salt to mine at the table; hubby thought it was fine without. Mine was brown and bubbly in about 30 minutes -- glad that I checked in on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! Glad you liked it! Yeah, I think something is wrong with my oven because it has been very inconsistent lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night - yum! Used an extra egg because my pan was big.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts