Mom's Simple Rice Pilaf

Perhaps it has something to do with this time of year; perhaps it has something to do with all of the comfort-food editions of magazines on the news stands right now; or perhaps it is a case of nostalgia. Whatever the case may be, I have been reminiscing about ALL of my mom's home cooking lately. So, I have decided to create a category/label just for her called "Mom's." Thanks Mom for the thousands of meals that you cooked from scratch for our family over the last 40 years.


Print Friendly and PDF

Mom's Simple Rice Pilaf
1/2 onion, diced
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Cups chicken broth (gluten-free)
1 Cup brown rice


1) Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a pot over medium-low heat and add onion. Cook until softened (about 3 minutes).

2) Add rice and stir to coat with butter, and let cook for three more minutes until bottom layer is slightly brown. (My mom doesn't necessarily do this step and her rice still turns out amazing.I feel I need this step in order to have it remotely taste good).

3) Add broth, bring to a low boil, cover and simmer for 50 minutes - or until all of the liquid is absorbed.

4) Fluff with a fork and serve (I used a half cup measure and kept the form).


Comments

  1. Sounds delicious... I always make rice in the rice cooker but that gets boring. This would be a nice change!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but be warned that a friend of mine teased me for calling this a "pilaf," so I guess I'm going to have to experiment with more complex "authentic" pilaf recipes in the future. However, you just can't beat the simplicity of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog by accident a month ago and pop back every now and then to see what you are working on. I just wanted to say hello. Have a great day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Useful info lchris rice. Hope to see more good posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts