Garden-Fresh Pico de Gallo
While I was grocery shopping in the produce section - I noticed that the pico de gallo was 3.99 for an 8 oz tub. Now it is not beyond me to pay for something chopped up and ready made once in a while for a quick convenient short cut, but it didn't look fresh. So, I checked the ingredient list and bought those items. The result yielded twice as much for half the cost and was super fresh. No, it wasn't convenient, but yes it was worth it.
2 medium tomatoes
1 medium to small onion
1 bunch fresh cilantro (1/2 cup of leaves)
1 clove of garlic
1) Core and dice tomatoes pushing aside the seeds during the process, and place diced tomatoes in a bowl.
2) Chop onion and add to the bowl.
3) Mince jalapeno and add to the bowl.
4) Remove enough leaves from a larch bunch of cilantro - enough for a loosely packed 1/2 cup. Finely mince cilantro leaves and add to the tomato mixture.
5) Press garlic through garlic press into the bowl.
6) Juice the lime with citrus press and add to the mixture.
7) Mix and serve with tortilla chips, or use as a condiment with chili, fajitas, or any Mexican dish.