Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tomato Sandwich

Now that I have homemade mayonnaise, I have three days to use the batch. To begin with, my craving to make the mayonnaise started with my craving for a tomato sandwich. A what? Yes, a tomato sandwich. I must have had a hundred of these while growing up from junior high until now. My mom made these all the time during the summer, and one day I wanted one too, I guess. Now, I'm not talking about some mealy, pale-faced, flavorless tomato; I'm talking about a deep-red, farm-fresh, ripe piece of fruit. My mom and dad have always kept a nice garden, and tomatoes were a big part. I think that is why I appreciate a wide variety of vegetables as an adult because after caring for the plants it was exciting to taste the end result (even if I didn't like it). So, a tomato sandwich -- nothing could be easier and more simply delicious. Hey, it's just a BLT without the B & L.


Print Friendly and PDF



Tomato Sandwich

2 slices of good sandwich bread
1-2 ripe red tomatoes
mayonnaise (preferably homemade mayonnaise)
basil (optional)

1. Slice tomatoes into thick round slices - about 3/4 of an inch
2. Lightly toast bread
3. Slather with desired amount of mayonnaise. Add several fresh basil leaves if you have them, and enjoy the fresh flavors of summer.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! And in the fine tradition of Harriet the Spy, too!
    Although a sprinkling of pig candy over the top wouldn't be a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...