Strawberry, Basil & Romaine Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Update 9/9/2019: I started this blog in 2009 as an online journal to chronicle my journey and record my favorite recipes. Ten years later I can look back and see how much I’ve learned. As I reduced the amount of processed food in my pantry and freezer, I began preparing more and more meals from scratch. This resulted in a change in tastes, likes, and desires. So much, in fact, that I feel it’s time to launch and entirely new blog! I'm going to keep this blog up and running just in case people have linked or pinned the recipes. Here's a link to this recipe on the new site.


 Yesterday, I found organic strawberries on sale - 3 pints for $6.00 and I couldn't pass that up. While at the grocery store my husband and I decided to invite some friends over for a casual dinner and a movie. With our usual dinner-for-two bumped up to four, I had two hours to decide what to make. I had one ingredient down - Strawberries. I tend to cook to fulfill my cravings and for some inexplicable reason I was craving hamburgers. Hamburgers with all the fixings sounded good for a casual dinner. Should I make Caesar salad as a side? I was sure that there would be some snacking going on during the movie so I didn't want dinner to be too heavy. Eureka! What if I use the strawberries in the salad? Result: an awesome light side dish that works well with burgers!


Print Friendly and PDF



Strawberry, Basil & Romaine Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

For the Salad
3 hearts of romaine, rinsed
2 pints of strawberries, rinsed
large bunch of fresh basil, 20 leaves

For the Dressing
3/4 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon minced red onion
freshly ground pepper

1) Chop romaine into bite sized pieces and place in salad bowl.
2) Cut tops off of the strawberries and slice in quarters. Mix strawberries into romaine - leaving some to decorate the top of the bowl.
3) Role basil leaves into a tube shape and slice thin strips. Mix basil into the romaine and strawberries - leaving some to decorate the top of the bowl.
4) Assemble all of the dressing ingredients in a seperate bowl -- so everyone can use their own desired amount of dressing.

Comments

Popular Posts