Quick Red Wine Tomato Sauce

I have a handful of recipes floating around in my mind that I've made probably a hundred times that were actually given to me word of mouth. This is one of those recipes. Sure I buy jar sauce to save time, but honestly this recipe takes only 10 to 15 minutes more than just heating a jar of sauce. I always get compliments on this sauce. I usually make a double batch of this recipe since I can easily freeze half. The the pictures are of a double batch.



Print Friendly and PDF

Quick Red Wine Tomato Sauce

1 large 30 oz can of good quality tomato sauce or, 2 -15 oz cans (not puree, not crushed) sauce!
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste depending on canned sauce)
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of basil
1/4 cup of red wine (Burgundy, Merlot - frankly whatever red I have open - this time I used
Zinfandel)

1) Heat olive oil in large sauce pot on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes then add onions and cook until translucent (about 4 minutes)


2) Add pressed garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds to one minute, stirring to make sure onions and garlic do not brown
3) Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, oregano, basil, red wine, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes - serve with your favorite pasta!



Comments

Popular Posts