Chicken Pot Pie - Family Style
2 single chicken breasts
2 small russet potatoes
3 1/3 cup chicken broth, divided
1 small onion
3 stalks of celery
2 tablespoons of butter
6 tablespoons of flour
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, & corn)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 ready made pie crust (preferably organic, or all natural with no hydrogenated oils)
salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake potatoes directly on the oven rack for about 45 minutes or until tender. Cool for 15 minutes, then peel and break into small pieces. Follow package instructions for bringing ready made pie dough to room temperature.
2) While potatoes are cooking, poach chicken breasts in 1/3 cup chicken broth in a covered pan for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and using two forks shred the chicken.
3) Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pot. Add onion, celery and thyme and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
4) Sprinkle in the 6 tablespoons of flour and and stir until lightly toasted.
5) Add the milk and broth to the onion celery mixture. Stir and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add frozen vegetables and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add potatoes and shredded chicken. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
7) Transfer filling to a deep pie dish. Place pie dough over the top of filling and sprinkle with salt (preferably kosher) and pepper. With a sharp knife cut dough to let out steam as the pie bakes. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Serve in individual bowls making sure to get a bit of crust on the top of each serving.