Oven "Fried" Cod

There is nothing like a great deep-fried beer-battered fish and chip dinner.  I love it. My favorite local restaurant, Henry's Pub, serves amazing food and their fish and chips are fantastic. Truth be told, it is challenging to serve fish for dinner to my meat-and-potato-loving husband.  I'm still trying to learn how to cook fish without over cooking it, (my usual mistake).  This is the first fish recipe that my husband actually loves.  I realize it still not the healthiest recipe I could make, but the fact that my husband really loves this recipe is a huge accomplishment.  I'll take it, and I hope you like it.



Print Friendly and PDF

Oven "Fried" Cod
1 lb cod
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1/4 cup potato flakes
1/4 cup parmesan
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
salt
pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil

1) Set up first round stations: 1 small bowl of milk, 1 small bowl of flour. Thoroughly pat dry cod fillets with paper towel.  Dip cod in the milk then coat with flour and set pieces aside on cutting board.



2) Set up second round stations: Add egg to remaining milk bowl and whip with fork


3) Melt butter in a medium sized bowl, add bread crumbs to the melted butter and mix thoroughly.


4) Add potato flakes, parmesan, remaining flour from first round station, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper


5) Dip flour coated cod fillets into egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumb mixture.  Set aside again on cutting board.


6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 12 inch skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes.  Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Wait 30 seconds, swirl oil around pan and add fish fillets.  Cook on side one for four minutes.


7) Using spatula flip fillets and immediately put into the oven to finish cooking for about 10 to 12 minutes.  I have new titanium bonded Scanpans which can go in the oven up to 500 degrees.  I love these pans - the best I've ever owned, bar none.



Goes great with Spinach Balls in Tomato Sauce!

Comments

Popular Posts