Swiss Chard with Cannellini Beans and Bacon

Walking through Whole Foods the other day I noticed a giant display of gorgeous Swiss chard. I bought a bunch thinking that at the very least I could wilt them in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper.  In reality, when it came time to cook these pretty green and red leaves I had a 1/2 a can of cannellini beans and a couple slices of left over bacon in the refrigerator. Eureka a new recipe was born!  I'm not so naive to think that this is the first time these ingredients have been used together.  But for me...it was a first. Enjoy!


Print Friendly and PDF

Swiss Chard with Cannellini Beans and Bacon
One bunch of Swiss chard, stems and vein removed
2 tablespoons of olive oil (optional: a little extra drizzle before serving)
2 small to medium shallots, finely chopped
1/2 can of a 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained
2 slices of bacon, crumbled
salt and pepper

1. Wash Swiss chard, pat dry with paper towels, and remove stems along with the thick part of the vein.


2. Chop Swiss chard into 1 inch by 2 inch strips. Finely chop shallots and heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil oil in a large frying pan.


3. Saute shallots in olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring often until soft.


4.  Add Swiss chard and stir until not quite wilted.


5.  Add cannellini beans, and continue to saute until greens are wilted and beans are warm.


6. Sprinkle with bacon crumbles, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.  (I served this with oven baked fish which turned out delicious - I'll post that recipe soon.  It was the first time I made that too and I want to make it one more time before posting).

Comments

Popular Posts