Mom's Wax Beans With Buttered Bread Crumbs

When I was a kid I loved when my Mom made her recipe for wax beans with buttered bread crumbs. She often served them with pork. As I got older, I even remember begging her to make bigger batches. My Mom made these with canned wax beans which is actually more readily available than frozen or fresh. However, our friends planted their garden early this year and got lucky with no frost, so last week I was the beneficiary of several large handfuls of wax beans. I knew exactly what I was going to do with them.




Print Friendly and PDF

Mom's Wax Beans With Buttered Bread Crumbs
4 Cups of whole fresh wax beans, or 2 (15) oz. cans drained (if using canned beans skip step 1 & 2)
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of white bread crumbs
Salt

1) Wash and trim wax beans into thirds (or one inch pieces). 




2) Steam the beans for 15 to 18 minutes using an electric steamer or double boiler.


3) Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a frying pan over medium heat.



4) Add wax beans and toss to coat in butter.


5) Add 1/2 cup of white bread crumbs and continue to cook until bread crumbs are toasted (about another 10 to 15 minutes).  Salt to taste.


6) Mom's wax beans with buttered bread crumbs go really well with spicy pork loin chops.


Comments

  1. Just another quick note to say the wax beans were not my idea.
    It is another one from dad. He credits Auntie Tiny with this one.
    I guess that means it belongs in the family recipe catergory.

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Mom,

    Thanks for fessing up, and I'm glad to know the history. I guess your note gives the appropriate credit, but from my point of view you were the one who made these for me.

    Love you too!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squish handfuls of Saltines and saute in butter. Add to a strained pot of heated (canned) wax beans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on these. Not canned, but we had a nice garden with tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, rhubarb, green, and wax beans. I constantly got in trouble for sneaking into the kitchen and eating half the batch before dinner was served! LOL
    Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My late mother in law made these beans from fresh yellow beans all summer, every summer. We've grown them in our garden and keep up the tradition with a minor twist. My mom was Italian, the only bread crumbs I knew existed as a young bride were, yup ... Italian seasoned. The husband liked them, thought he married a cook. It took me years, but he’s finally been proved correct. This recipe made me smile remembering one of the wonderful women who taught me to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of Italian: If you have only had Italian spaghetti, Y'all must try that of Switzerland as reported by the esteemed BBC back in the '50s https://tinyurl.com/kp5hunvm . This will really knock your Viejo's socks off!
      "Chow!" (as we NonItalians say when greeting Gli Amici who are having us over to eat pasta!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts