Gourmet Turkey Salad Sandwich with Apple, Walnut and Ginger

This is not your Mom's turkey salad sandwich (so-to-speak).  No offense to my mom's cooking intended!  It's just a turn of phrase. This turkey salad sandwich has a unique cast of characters - far from average - and the flavors create an explosion in your mouth.  I said something similar about the "Not-Your-Ordinary Fruit Salad" post, I know. I can't help it. It's true. With this sandwich you experience the silky turkey and mayo flavors, mixed with a bright crispy bite of green apple, followed by the unexpected flavors of ginger and cilantro, plus the crunch of walnut pieces. Just try it! You'll see.



Print Friendly and PDF

Gourmet Turkey Salad Sandwich with Apple, Walnut and Ginger
4 slices of quality sandwich bread
(the remaining ingredients are enough to make two sandwiches unless your bread slices are huge)
3 oz of leftover roaster turkey, torn
1/2 stalk of celery, diced
1/4 of green apple, diced
1/4 cup of red onion, diced
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, microplaned
2 walnuts, crushed
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
lettuce leaves (I used butter lettuce)

1. Gather all your ingredients in one place.



2. Dice everything that need dicing apples, celery, and red onion. Crack and crush the walnuts. Tear the turkey into chunks.



3.  Add the ingredients into a small bowl with the mayonnaise.



4. Using a microplane add ginger to the bowl and mix.  At this point I felt like I was missing some fresh herbs, and the only thing I had on hand was cilantro.  Why not? I added it, and it turned out to be a good instinct.




5. Spread evenly over 1 slice of lightly toasted (my preference) bread.


6. Top with lettuce leaves and another slice of lightly toasted bread.  You can serve with the remaining apple slices.




Comments

Popular Posts