Good-For-You Turkey Meatloaf (Low-Carb, High-Protein, Gluten-Free)
2 lbs of lean ground turkey
1 large zucchini, grated
1 onion, grated
1 tablespoon of dried rubbed sage
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 clove of garlic, pressed or minced
1 1/2 tablespoons of salt
1 (15 oz) can of cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese (South Beach calls for low fat but I use regular)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Grate the zucchini in a large bowl.
2. Grate the onion over the zucchini.
3. Add the turkey and sage to the bowl.
4. Add the pepper.
5. Press the garlic and add the salt to the mixture.
6. Rinse the cannellini beans until they don't foam and drain, and mash the beans with a potato masher and add to the meatloaf mixture.
7. Add the cheese.
8. Finally, add the lightly beaten egg and dig in with your hand and mix. Play with your food. It's pretty impossible for me to get a picture of this since both my hands are in the mix.
9. Lightly oil a loaf pan with olive oil and add the meatloaf mixture.
10. Place the loaf pan in a preheated 350 degree oven with a piece of tin foil underneath for spillage. (Is that a word?) Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes.
11. Let the meatloaf rest for 20 minutes before slicing. This meatloaf pairs well with "Smashed 'Cauliflower' Potatoes" for a great low carb dinner.
12. Use left over slices with spinach or kale, cheese, mustard and mayo to make great panini sandwiches for a not-so-low-carb option.