Shredded Chicken Tostadas on Home-Baked Flour Tortillas
-to make 4 tostadas
4 small whole wheat tortillas (I used Mission Carb Balance - 80 calories each - 3g net carbs each)
1 1/2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 can of refried beans (I used a 15 oz of Amy's Organic Refried Black Beans)
1 1/2 cups of "Shredded Mexican Chicken"
1 1/2 cups of shredded lettuce (1/4 to 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce depending on the size)
1 scallion, sliced thin
black olive slices
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the tortillas on a parchment lined sheet and brush both sides of the tortilla with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
2. After five minutes flip to bake on the other side for an additional five minutes. While the tortillas are baking gather and prepare the rest of your ingredients. Slice 1/4 to 1/2 of a head of iceberg lettuce into thin strips, slice avocado, slice the scallion, mince cilantro, and open a can of sliced black olives. I've been experimenting with fresh homemade salsa (hopefully I will post that soon). You can make your own salsa, buy something fresh from the refrigerator section of your grocery store, or use your favorite jar salsa. Generally speaking fresh is best, so I recommend learning to make your own. Remove the tortillas from the oven after the tortillas are done baking 5 minutes on each side.
5. Divide 1/2 of the cheese between the baked tortillas.
5. Bake 3 to 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tortillas finish getting crisp.
6. Spread warm black beans over the melted cheese. I heated the black beans in the microwave.
7. Place one quarter of reheated chicken (or fresh from the crock pot) over the black beans.
8. Add more cheese. Yay.
9. Add the rest of your garnishes. In the picture below you will see the two in the front with everything. The two in back belong to my husband and they don't have the sour cream or olives.
10. Serve with lime slices and enjoy. I think you'll be satisfied!