Breakfast Stuffing (A Casserole with Egg, Sausage, Bread, and Cheese)
1 lb ground breakfast sausage
1/2 onion diced (optional)
1 lb loaf of french bread, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb of sharp cheddar cheese, grated or shredded
1 dozen eggs
1 cup of half and half
1. Break up the sausage into small pieces and cook on medium heat until cooked through. Place the sausage in a bowl off to the side, and from the frying pan drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
2. While the sausage is cooking slice the bread into 1 inch cubes.
3. Saute the onions until soft and lightly golden brown. Mix the cooked onion into the sausage.
4. Crack open all the the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until blended.
5. Whisk the half and half into the eggs.
6. Fold the shredded cheese into the egg mixture.
7. Add the cooled sausage and onions to the egg mixture.
8. Place the bread cubes into a buttered 9 x 13 inch baker.
9. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and make sure everything is mixed well. You don't necessarily want to end up with bread and eggs on the bottom, and the sausage and cheese on top. Instead try to mix all the ingredients evenly -- so it looks like stuffing! You could bake it the same day after the bread is thoroughly moistened, or cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Note: the next morning there wasn't any liquid left and some of the bread cubes seemed dry so I added four more eggs and another splash of half and half. I used a very dense and crusty loaf of bread so it needed a little extra moisture.
10. When you are ready preheat the oven to 350 and bake the casserole for 45 - 60 minutes until completely set -- a knife should come out clean as if you were testing a cake.
Note: here is the link to the original recipe from my brother's friend. Breakfast Strata