1 lb of hamburger
4 to 6 cups of lettuce (I used a combination of Romain and Iceberg)
your favorite ranch dressing* (I made Homemade Ranch Dressing)
2 oz of sharp cheddar cheese*
*use low fat versions for South Beach and regular for The New Atkins.
1. Form two 8 oz hamburger patties. Season both sides with salt pepper and garlic.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet (preferably cast iron for flavored browning). When the oil is shimmering add the burger patties. Make a two finger indent into the center of each patty. This will help counteract the "puffing" of the burger as it cooks. Cook on side one for 5 minutes.
3. While the burgers are cooking on side one wash and chop the lettuce. Slice a 1/4 inch ring of red onion.
4. Flip the burgers. Look at the yummy crust!
5. Add 1 oz of cheese to each burger and add the red onion. Sprinkle the red onion with salt and pepper. Cook the burger "covered" for another five minutes until cheese is melted.
6. While the burgers are cooking on the second side toss the lettuce with ranch dressing. Divide the lettuce between two plates. Top with more salt and pepper if desired.
7. After the cheese is melted remove the burgers to drain on a couple of paper towels for a minute. Flip the red onion to cook for another minute on the second side.
8. Set the burger on the salad and add the onions on top of the burgers.
You might also enjoy these other versions of cheeseburger salad.
Pioneer Woman's Cheeseburger Salad
Rachel Ray's Cheeseburger Salad