Cantaloupe Sorbet

My mother-in-law is in town for Mother's Day. She loves Caesar salad so I decided to make my special grilled version for lunch on Mother's Day. Like me, my mother-in-law is not a big dessert person. She makes delicious desserts, but she doesn't eat them very often. Deciding on a light dessert to enjoy after lunch was a bit of a challenge. I just got a brand new food processor. I hadn't even pulled it out of the box yet, and one of the things I was looking forward to was pureeing fruit for sorbets.  When I remembered that my mother-in-law loves melon, I knew that cantaloupe sorbet was going to be dessert.






Cantaloupe Sorbet (adapted from Alton Brown's Melon Sorbet)
2 cantaloupes
2 limes, juiced
1 cup of sugar or Xylitol (I used Xylitol which has 1/3 fewer calories)
4 tablespoons of vodka

1. Cut cantaloupe in half (stem to stem), and cut in half again in the same direction.



2. Scoop out the seeds.



3. Cut the skin off and cut the melon wedge into cubes. Puree the melon in batches (I have a nine cup processor so it only took two batches).





4. In the last batch add lime juice, sugar, and vodka. Process mixture for another 30 seconds.





5. Store the melon mixture in a large measuring cup and place in the refrigerator or freezer until it is about 40 degrees.



6. Pour the melon mixture into your ice cream maker. I had exactly 6 cups which is the maximum my machine holds. I let the machine churn for 25 - 30 minutes.



7. Pour mixture in a freezer safe storage and container and freeze until you are ready to serve (at least 3 hours).




You might also like:
Melon Sorbet - Simply Recipes
Easy Melon Sorbet (doesn't require an ice cream machine)

Comments

Popular Posts