Gas-Grilled Chicken Thighs and Broccolini with an Asian Flair
(adapted from Rachel Ray's Grilled Sweet-and-Sticky Chicken Thighs with Asparagus and Harissa)
8 - 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 tablespoons of quality balsamic vinegar (use GF if sensitive)
2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons of Canadian Steak Seasoning
(or equal parts of fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic and a pinch of fennel seed if you have it)
1 orange, juiced
1 bunch of broccolini, ends trimmed and stalks peeled
scallions for garnish (optional)
1. In a small bowl add olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, crushed red pepper, spices, and orange juice. Whisk the marinade until blended.
2. Pour the marinade over chicken thighs and marinate 10 to 20 minutes (or until your done prepping the broccolini and the grill).
3. Trim the ends and peel the stalks of the broccolini.
4. Blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, drain and gently rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.
5. Prepare your grill by heating it on high for 10 minutes. Scrape the grates and brush them with olive oil using tongs and a couple of paper towels dipped in a bowl of olive oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade to a plate. Place the marinade in a small pot on the stove. Place the chicken on the grill. Turn down the heat to medium and grill the chicken on the first side for 6 minutes.
6. While chicken is cooking on side one heat the marinade until it boils then immediately turn the heat down to a low simmer. The marinade should continue a low boil. (If you have one of those barbecues with a spot for a pot that would be perfect. I don't so I boiled the leftover marinade in the house).
7. Flip the chicken and grill on the second side for six minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill onto a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes while the broccolini is cooking.
7. Arrange broccolini a grilling vegetable tray and drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill the broccolini 2-3 minutes per side to reheat and get a little charbroil.
8. Slice the thighs in 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
9. Plate chicken slices around a couple stalks of broccolini, and drizzle a couple of spoonfuls of the reduced marinade over chicken and broccolini. Add the scallions if you have them. I didn't but I know I would like them as a garnish. I think cilantro would be good too. (Note: if you have left overs they are great in lettuce wraps the next day for lunch. We didn't even reheat the chicken. Delicious.)