I'm addicted to cooking on my BBQ! It's opening up a whole new chapter in my Foodie Journey Family Cookbook. Even if it is smokin' hot outside, it's better to cook outside than inside because you're not raising the heat in the house. If you have one of those BBQ's with a burner you can make this dish entirely outside. Otherwise, you do need to parboil the potatoes inside first. You can even do this ahead of time!
Grilled Cheesy Smashed Potatoes with Rosemary and Olive Oil
2 lbs. of small Yukon gold potatoes
1 Tablespoon of salt
finely grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon of dried rosemary or fresh if you have it
3 Tablespoons of finely grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1. Add clean potatoes to a pot of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a low boil and continue to cook until you can pierce with a knife with little resistance.
2. Place potatoes on a cutting board and let cool to the touch. Use the heel of your hand to smash the potatoes while still keeping them whole.
3. Place potatoes in a grill basket and place the grill basket on a plate. Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and crushed rosemary.
4. Heat grill on high for 15 minutes, brush clean, and place potatoes over high heat for about 6 - 7 minutes. Check and flip half way through if needed to create plenty of crispy bites. You can see that I was also grilling asparagus which doesn't take as long as the potatoes. So when the asparagus was done I was able to use a second grill grate after the flip.
6. Remove from heat and finish with more extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and the parmesan cheese.