Cheesy Low-Carb Chicken, Sausage, and Veggies Skillet
I'm always on the lookout for a satisfying low-carb meal. One of the most popular low-carb meals on this blog is my Cheeseburger Cauliflower. It's still one of my favorites too. I find myself craving this meal fairly often, but I have also been craving other flavor profiles. After making this dish a few times now I'm ready to share this recipe. I think you'll agree. Having two proteins in in the same skillet makes this a very satisfying dish.
Cheesy Low-Carb Chicken, Sausage, and Veggie Skillet
2 chicken breasts
1 lb ground sausage
1 lb frozen green beans
4 oz of cream cheese (use low fat for South Beach and regular for The New Atkins)
1 cup shredded cheddar (use low fat for South Beach and regular for The New Atkins)
1/4 cup of half and half (use low fat for South Beach and regular for The New Atkins)
1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 large clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1. Slice onions in half moons.
2. Remove tenderloins from chicken breasts. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to make four thin breasts. This will make 6 pieces of chicken. Cut these pieces into small, thin, bite-size medallions by cutting diagonally.
3. Pre-heat oven to warm (about 170 degrees). Break up sausage into small chunks in the biggest frying pan you have and brown it up.
4. Remove the sausage crumbles from the pan leaving a tablespoon of sausage grease. Place the cooked sausage in a large oven-safe dish and place it in the warm oven. Add butter to the pan. When the butter is melted and mixed in with the sausage fat, add the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. When the onions are soft, translucent, and browned add the minced garlic. Sauté the garlic and onions for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant and then add them to the oven safe dish.
6. If needed add a little olive oil to the pan and add the chicken medallions in a single layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If necessary do this in 2 batches. When the chicken is done on one side (when you can see the pink against the white) flip the chicken and cover the pan for 2 minutes until the chicken is just cooked through (no pink). Do not over cook the chicken otherwise they get tough and dry. Add the chicken to the growing pile of deliciousness keeping warm in the oven.
7. Add a little water to the frying pan and add the frozen green beans. Stir often until they are warmed through. Guess what's next? Yes. Add them to the warming station. I didn't take a picture of the step, but I'm sure you get the picture! Pun intended.
8. Now it's time to make the cheesy deliciousness that brings this dish all together. In the same frying pan that everything was cooked in melt the cream cheese and half and half over medium heat.
9. Add the shredded cheese, dried mustard, and turmeric stirring continually.
10. Mix the onions, sausage, chicken, and green beans into the cheese sauce. Bon appetite!