Portobello Mushroom-Goat Cheese Pizza

In the Ratatouille post I hinted that I love this pizza, but I must admit it is my absolute favorite.  I had a wood-fired version at a restaurant once, twice, okay a few times until they stopped serving it.  I was quite shocked when it was no longer offered.  I had no choice but to learn how to forge those flavors for myself.  I remember the original as a white flour crust topped with tomato sauce, thinly sliced portobello mushrooms, goat cheese, mozzarella, and fresh basil.  I have used both left over ratatouille and pizza sauce.  Either version is delicious.  This is the closest that I can get without a wood-fired oven.



Print Friendly and PDF


Portobello Mushroom-Goat Cheese Pizza

Bread Machine Pizza Crust - (makes 2 small pizzas, 6 slices each)

1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 3/4 cup flour (I use white spelt)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 pkg. yeast

Pizza Topping

1/2 large portobello mushroom, ears scraped, sliced thin
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
Fresh basil for garnish

1) Add ingredients in order and set bread machine to dough cycle (while machine is mixing dough, be prepared to add one tablespoon of flour if dough ball does not form, or one tablespoon of water if dough isn't absorbing all of the flour and seems hard)
2) When dough cycle is finished divide dough in half.  Cover one half and set aside.  Preheat oven to 400.  (Note-to-self #2 - do not attempt to preheat oven to 500 in a California apartment and expect smoke detectors to not go off - I was trying really hard for that wood fired flavor).  Instead, roll dough into a small oval shape.  Brush with oil and par bake crust for 10 minutes.  (The crust in this picture is not par baked; while the flavor of the pizza was present the crust was too soft for my taste)  So, if you prefer a softer crust skip the par baking step.
3) Add ratatouille or pizza sauce (will need less if using plain sauce) to par baked crust.  Top with mushroom slices, mozzarella, and goat cheese.
4) Lower oven to 375 and bake 10 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil.  Cut in half lengthwise then in thirds to make six slices.
5) Repeat with other half of dough or make them at the same time in a large oven on a large baking sheet.



Comments

Popular Posts