Quick Apple Crisp

My husband and I don't eat a lot of desserts, but when we have dinner parties we always serve dessert.  Even so, most of the time I don't make a dessert, because the majority of my efforts go into the main course.  In these situations I buy a good quality ice cream, and serve it with a Pepperidge Farm pirourette wafer.  It is a simple dessert that never fails to please.  Since my husband likes ice cream so much, I have also learned to make that at home.  Trust me, there will be ice cream posts in the near future, I'm sure.  Once in a while though, I go back to an old standard that I have tweaked from a Pampered Chef recipe AND I serve this with ice cream or homemade whipped cream:-)



Print Friendly and PDF

Quick Apple Crisp
7 green apples
8 to 9 oz of yellow cake mix
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
4 to 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, plus extra to butter the casserole dish
juice of one fresh lemon
water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a medium size bowl with 4 cups of cool water.

2. Wash apples. Peel and quarter apples one at a time. Make 1/8 inch slices from each quarter, and place in lemon water to prevent browning. If I double or triple this recipe I use an apple peeler/ corer slicer.  You can see a picture of what this recipe looks like "doubled" in an old post here.


3. When all the apples are peeled and cut, drain the apples, and place in buttered 2 quart casserole dish (mine measures 6 1/2 inches by 9 inches).

4. Sprinkle apples with 8 to 9 oz of yellow cake mix. (I used 1/2 of a 16.2 oz box and stored the remaining cake mix in the freezer for next time).



5. Start with 4 tablespoons of melted butter and drizzle evenly over the top of the crisp.  After 30 minutes of baking you can always add more.



6. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar over the cake mix.



7. Place apples in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.  At this point you can continue to bake for another 30 minutes and serve warm, or remove from the oven and finish baking 30 minutes before serving time.  (I made this one day ahead, let it cool, covered it with plastic wrap, and placed in the refrigerator overnight. The next day I took the crisp out of the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter for about an hour so I didn't shock the casserole dish going from a cold refrigerator into a hot oven. I added a couple more tablespoons of butter to a few dry spots where butter didn't absorb into the cake mixture.  Just before we served the main course, I put the crisp back in the oven for 30 minutes.  We served the warm apple crisp with a scoop of homemade "Cinnamon Ice Cream"). YUM!

Comments

Popular Posts