Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps

Update 9/9/2019: I started this blog in 2009 as an online journal to chronicle my journey and record my favorite recipes. Ten years later I can look back and see how much I’ve learned. As I reduced the amount of processed food in my pantry and freezer, I began preparing more and more meals from scratch. This resulted in a change in tastes, likes, and desires. So much, in fact, that I feel it’s time to launch and entirely new blog! I'm going to keep this blog up and running just in case people have linked or pinned the recipes. Here's a link to this recipe on the new site.

Lettuce leaves make a great vehicle for low carb meals and snacks like "Low Carb Fajitas" and "Turkey Roll Ups." Recently, I was craving an egg salad sandwich but I didn't want to have the added carbs with this particular meal. I thought why not put it in a lettuce leaf. This seems so obvious I hesitate to make a blog post about it. However, sometimes it is simple "real life" recipes that my friends and family appreciate the most. In that spirt, I hope you enjoy these egg salad lettuce wraps. (Perfect for Phase 1 South Beach or Induction phase on The New Atkins).






Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps
(the following recipe is for 1 serving- increase amounts as needed for additional servings)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise (low fat for South Beach | regular or homemade for The New Atkins)
1/2 teaspoon of yellow mustard
1/8 teaspoon of white pepper
salt
2 butter lettuce leaves
chopped fresh parsley for garnish

1. My mom mentioned that she has been using the Anne Burrell method of cooking hard boiled eggs. After my soft boiled egg experiment with "Eggs and Soldiers" I didn't want to mess around. Since my mom found success with Anne's method that was good enough for me. Place the eggs in a pot and add enough cool water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and cover. Leave the eggs to cook in the pot for 13 minutes.



2. Run the eggs under cool water, add ice cubes if necessary and slightly crack the eggs to get the cool water between the egg and shell.



3. Peel the eggs and run through an egg slicer in two different directions to start creating the egg salad texture. Place eggs in a small bowl.



4. Add mayonnaise, mustard, pepper and salt to taste to the small bowl with the eggs.



5. Mash all of the ingredients together with a fork.



6. Divide the egg salad between to lettuce leaves and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.



Comments

Popular Posts