Pan-seared Oven-finished Salmon with Barbecue Sauce
2 (6oz) thick cut salmon fillets
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper (or more as this will determine "the kick")
4 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
Note: check your labels on spices and barbecue sauce if you would like to make this recipe gluten free.
Note: this is the same spice blend from my "Spicy Pork Loin Chop" post.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat salon dry with paper towel.
2) Season salmon with the rub.
3) Heat olive oil in an oven proof pan over medium heat until the oil shimmers. Add the salmon top side down/skin side up and sauté for 5 minutes.
4) Remove from heat, gently flip the salmon.
5) Top each piece of salmon with 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce.
6) Finishing cooking the salmon by placing the pan in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until your desired doneness is reached. I checked it at 5 minutes, and put it back in for 2 minutes. By the way don't judge me by how much my oven needs to be cleaned. I don't have a self-cleaning oven. I'm just glad I have an oven from this century.
7) I served this with green beans but this would be awesome with "Mom's Wax Beans."