Pan-seared Oven-finished Salmon with Barbecue Sauce

Update 9/9/2019: I started this blog in 2009 as an online journal to chronicle my journey and record my favorite recipes. Ten years later I can look back and see how much I’ve learned. As I reduced the amount of processed food in my pantry and freezer, I began preparing more and more meals from scratch. This resulted in a change in tastes, likes, and desires. So much, in fact, that I feel it’s time to launch and entirely new blog! I'm going to keep this blog up and running just in case people have linked or pinned the recipes. Here's a link to this recipe on the new site.

Salmon was an acquired taste for me. I finally started liking it in my twenties. Up to that point the only salmon I ate was my Mom's salmon patties with ketchup (not that there is anything wrong with those). One night when I was out to dinner with a few coworkers on a business trip in Chicago I ordered the salmon special. I loved it. From that moment I could order blackened salmon with barbecue sauce at restaurants and be confident that I would have a tasty and satisfying meal. This recipe is my version of the salmon I came to love at that Chicago restaurant.


Print Friendly and PDF

Pan-seared Oven-finished Salmon with Barbecue Sauce
2 (6oz) thick cut salmon fillets
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper (or more as this will determine "the kick")
4 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
olive oil

Note: check your labels on spices and barbecue sauce if you would like to make this recipe gluten free.
Note: this is the same spice blend from my "Spicy Pork Loin Chop" post.

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat salon dry with paper towel.


2) Season salmon with the rub.


3) Heat olive oil in an oven proof pan over medium heat until the oil shimmers. Add the salmon top side down/skin side up and sauté for 5 minutes.


4) Remove from heat, gently flip the salmon.


5) Top each piece of salmon with 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce.


6) Finishing cooking the salmon by placing the pan in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until your desired doneness is reached. I checked it at 5 minutes, and put it back in for 2 minutes. By the way don't judge me by how much my oven needs to be cleaned.  I don't have a self-cleaning oven.  I'm just glad I have an oven from this century.


7) I served this with green beans but this would be awesome with "Mom's Wax Beans."

Comments

  1. Hello My Love - as you know, fish was definitely an aquired taste for me too. Thanks to you I am now a fan. I must say - this was one of your best. The flavor combination was fantastic. I would recommend this recipe for the die hard fish lover and also for anyone who says 'I am not that into fish' - my guess is that they will like this. Try It. This recipe is unequivocally Huzzy Approved. By the way -Coco and Mr. Knightley (our cats) share my enthusiasm. They give this recipe an enthusiastic two paws up (each). THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts